- Supplemental Questions
- Name (as found on legal documentation)
- What name would you like us to use to refer to you during this fellowship?
- Are you applying through the Asia Center or the Center for Latin American Studies?
- Which FLAS Award are you applying for?
- For tuition purposes, will you be a resident or non-resident of the state of Utah during the FLAS Fellowship?
- Are you applying for a FLAS award from another institution that is not the University of Utah?
- If yes, indicate which university and which language(s)
- Application Type:
- Have you submitted a 2019-2020 FAFSA application (required for FLAS application)?
Self-disclosure of underrepresented status statement
*** Due to the source of our funding for this grant (U.S. Department of Education) we are required to request demographic information from our applicants. Providing this information is voluntary/optional and will not have an impact on your eligibility.
What is your gender identity (check all that apply)?
- What pronouns would you like us to use in referring to you (check all that apply)?
- Other/Self-Identified Pronouns
Ethnicity and Race Identification
Are you Hispanic or Latino/a? (A person of Cuban, Mexican, Dominican, Puerto Rican, South or Central American origin, or from another Latin American country regardless of race)
- Do you identify as or have origins in any of the indigenous peoples of North, Central and South America?
- If yes, please specify:
- Please check next to the racial categories that you most identify with:
- Other racial category that you identify with:
- Did you parents/guardian graduate from college?
- Have you served or are you currently serving in the U.S. Military?
Language for which you are applying:
- If Other, please specify what language:
What year language courses do you expect to take as a FLAS recipient?
Please, keep in mind that in order to be eligible for FLAS, undergraduate students must enroll in a language course at 2nd year level or higher. Graduate students who plan to enroll in first-year language classes must demonstrate proficiency in another language of the region.
Graduate Applicants Only
If you are a graduate student studying a Asian or Latin American language at the first-year level, what other Asian or Latin American language are you proficient in?
How many years have you studied the language you are applying for, and when did you study it? (Please indicate the number of years and corresponding dates, type NA if none)
High School Years / Dates studied
- Number of Undergraduate College Years / Dates studied
- Number of Graduate School Years / Dates studied
- Other Years / Dates studied
- Language(s) spoken at home:
- List all of the courses you have taken in the target language and grade received (type NA if none):
- Have you studied any languages other than those listed previously? (Specify)
Academic Information (type NA if none)
Academic honors, scholarships, or memberships in honor societies. Please indicate the date received
- Relevant activities or research in which you have participated as a student.
- Other federally-funded grants or fellowships you have applied for and/or received.
- Publications, major papers, or theses you have written or presented. Please include the date.
List all the institutions of higher education you have attended, the dates you attended, and your cumulative GPA for each. For applicants who have not attended an institution of higher education, list your high school and GPA.
- Upload PDF of transcript(s) from all institutions of higher education you have attended (or your high school if you not attended an institution of higher education). Note: File names can only include letters, numbers, a maximum of one period, and the following characters: _ -
- Transcript 2
- Transcript 3
- Transcript 4
- Transcript 5
- Transcript 6
- Transcript 7
- Transcript 8
Summer Intensive/Study Abroad (Summer FLAS applicants only)
If you are planning to participate in a summer intensive FLAS eligible program please include the name, website, and a description of the program. Additionally, include the program’s costs (including tuition and fees) and ensure it meets Summer FLAS requirements (https://latin-american-studies.utah.edu/flas/index.php#7) before submitting your FLAS application.
Letters of Recommendation
You must have two letters of recommendation. The strongest letters of recommendation come from professors and teachers that know you well. Having one letter to support your academic strengths and one to support your language learning skills is recommended, but not required.
Letter of Recommendation #1 (Please enter the names and email addresses of your references at least two weeks before the application due date)
- Letter of Recommendation #2 (Please enter the names and email addresses of your references at least two weeks before the application due date)
Statement of Purpose
In no more than 500 words, provide a statement of purpose that describes how language proficiency and area studies expertise will enhance your educational and/or career goals. In describing your goals, please discuss your short-term and long-term goals. Please upload your typed Statement of Purpose.
- I certify that this information is true, complete, and given in good faith. I understand that if I receive the FLAS Award, I will be held accountable for the information disclosed in this application. Additionally, I understand that, if awarded, I must follow specific FLAS requirements that will be made available at a later date. These requirements include – but are not limited to – submitting a performance report to the US Department of Education as directed by the FLAS coordinator and completing language assessments at the beginning and end of the FLAS period.
- Show 45 more