Alumni Scholarship for Undergraduate Student Veteran Persistence
UNDERGRADUATE STUDENT VETERAN PERSISTENCE
Provided by: University of Utah Alumni Association & Veterans Support Center
Value: $2,000, $1,000
Number of awards: 5
Application deadline: February 14, 2020 by 11:59 p.m. (MST). Please go to the Alumni Scholarship for Student Veterans General Application to apply
Recognizing that achieving academic excellence while serving in the military or attending without full VA educational benefits is challenging, the UUAA and VSC established the Alumni Scholarship for Undergraduate Student Veteran Persistence to promote student veteran retention and graduation.
The Alumni Scholarship for Undergraduate Student Veteran Persistence recognizes student veterans who do not receive full VA educational benefits or who are actively serving in the Reserves or National Guard, and who continue to pursue their first undergraduate degree and demonstrate academic excellence. The scholarship provides three (3) awards of $2,000 to full-time student veterans and two (2) awards of $1,000 to student veterans attending at least half-time to assist them in accomplishing their academic goals. Two (2) of the greater scholarships and one (1) of the lesser scholarships will only be awarded to students graduating no later than August 15, 2022.
- The student must be a student veteran as defined by the Veterans Support Center.*
- The student veteran must be pursuing her/his first-ever undergraduate degree.
- For the greater award, the student veteran must be a current full-time student in good standing with the University of Utah who will be attending full-time during Fall Semester 2020. For the lesser award, the student veteran must be a current student in good standing with the University of Utah who will be attending at least half-time during Fall Semester 2020.
- The student veteran must not be receiving VA educational benefits at the 100% rate or must be actively drilling in the Reserves or National Guard.
- The student veteran must have earned a minimum of 30 undergraduate credit hours at the University of Utah by the end of Spring Semester 2020.
- The student veteran must have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or greater at the University of Utah.
Many students who are selected to receive a University scholarship after May 12, 2015 are required by state law to certify under penalty of perjury that they are eligible to receive the scholarship as a U.S. citizen or a citizen of another country who is lawfully present within the United States. Students who have both graduated from a recognized Utah high school and who are awarded a scholarship funded by a private donor are not required to certify their lawful presence before receiving a privately funded scholarship. (This scholarship is a privately funded scholarship.)
* VSC DEFINITION OF A STUDENT VETERAN
A collective term for any student who served or serves in the U.S. Armed Forces, regardless of location, duration, branch, or component and who has not been dishonorably discharged.
Applications must be received no later than 11:59 PM on February 14, 2020. (MST). Please go to the Alumni Scholarship for Student Veterans General Application to apply
Documentation of military status will be required.
The recipients of scholarships will be required to share their story with the Alumni Association and meet with members of the Alumni Association.
Paul Morgan, PhD
Director, Veterans Support Center
200 S. Central Campus Dr.
Salt Lake City, UT 84112