Dining Services & Union Student Leader Scholarship
DINING SERVICES & UNION STUDENT LEADER SCHOLARSHIP
ACADEMIC YEAR 2022-2023
Provided by: Dining Services and the A. Ray Olpin Student Union
Scholarship Disbursed: Academic Year 2022-2023
Number of awards: 1
Scholarship Disbursed Fall 2022
Application deadline: Sunday, January 30th, 2022 by 11:59 PM (MST).
PURPOSE OF THE UNION SCHOLARSHIP FUND
The purpose of the Union Scholarship Fund is to support the academic achievement of students representing a wide array of backgrounds and experiences; the students are currently attending or plan to attend the University of Utah. The fund promotes the retention and completion of students who demonstrate financial need and a commitment to the mission of the Union. Through this fund, the Union and its scholarship partners recognize students who are committed to bettering the communities they serve.
PURPOSE OF THE DINING SERVICES AND UNION STUDENT LEADER SCHOLARSHIP
The Union Scholarship Fund in partnership with Dining Services provides one (1) $3,000 each to assist a Dining Services student employee in accomplishing their academic goals. The purpose is to identify and recognize student leaders whose involvement has, or will contribute to the overall mission of Dining Services and the University Union. This includes students who are or will be associated with the different leadership opportunities within Dining Services or the University Union. These opportunities can include but are not limited to involvement with an office or event(s) in the Union.
The Union Student Leader Scholarship committee defines leadership as the ability to communicate and embody a vision so that others commit to fulfilling the mission and goals of the University of Utah and the University Union. Leaders demonstrate self-knowledge, role modeling, integrity, decision-making ability, conflict resolution skills, and vision (adapted from the Association of College Unions International). Leadership is not always defined by holding a formal position.
- Candidates must be a Dining Services employee.
- Candidates must have completed one academic semester at an institution of higher education.
- Candidates must be currently enrolled at the University of Utah.
- Candidates must take a minimum of 9 undergraduate or 6 graduate credits at the University of Utah for the 2021 fall semester.
- Candidates must be able to demonstrate financial need for the scholarship.
- Candidates must have a cumulative GPA of at least 2.0 for the University of Utah.
Many students who are selected to receive a University scholarship after May 12, 2015, are required by state law to certify under penalty of perjury that they are eligible to receive the scholarship as a U.S. citizen or a citizen of another country who is lawfully present within the United States. Students who have both graduated from a recognized Utah high school and who are awarded a scholarship funded by a private donor are not required to certify their lawful presence before receiving a privately funded scholarship. (This scholarship is a privately funded scholarship.)
- Students who are required to certify their lawful presence in the United States must also be submitted to the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) for verification of their lawful presence within the United States. Once the University submits information to DHS for verification this federal agency may have the legal right to share information with other government agencies. If you do not know whether you are lawfully present within the United States you should seek the advice of an immigration attorney before accepting a University scholarship that requires certification and verification.
- The recipients of the scholarship are expected to attend the annual Union Scholarship Celebration event during the evening of Thursday, September 15th, 2022. The celebration promotes the scholarship on a community level and will be the time when recipients are publicly recognized and awarded.
- Sign scholarship Acceptance Forms.
- Required to be Union Scholarship Ambassador (promote 1-2 scholarship fundraising events throughout the year)
- Schedule a headshot picture
Communications & Development Manager
University of Utah University Union
200 S. Central Campus Dr.
Salt Lake City, UT 84112