Department of Mathematics General Scholarship Application
Welcome to the Department of Mathematics General Scholarship Application. Scholarships are awarded for the 2023-2024 academic year. The Mathematics Department offers a number of scholarships for incoming freshmen, transfer, and continuing undergraduate students:
- Partial tuition waiver – Available to Mathematics majors who are Utah residents who will be full-time students. Requires a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.5. Students seeking a second Bachelor’s are not eligible to receive this scholarship. Students who already hold a tuition waiver scholarship from the University of Utah are also not eligible for this award.
- Susan C. Christiansen Memorial Scholarship – Awarded to an outstanding student in the Department of Mathematics.
- C. Bryant and Clara C. Copley Scholarship – Provides at least one award to a junior or senior majoring in Mathematics who has demonstrated financial need.
- The Golden Scholarship – Awarded to four students majoring in Mathematics or Applied Mathematics, with a preference for those pursuing a double major or a major and a minor, with demonstrated financial need. Open to U.S. citizens or permanent residents. The Golden Scholarship will be applied directly to tuition or to on-campus housing.
- Junius John Hayes Diversity Scholarship – Awarded to a student in the Department of Mathematics with demonstrated financial need.
- Junius John Hayes Endowed Scholarship – Two Junius John Hayes Endowed Scholarships will be awarded to undergraduate students in the Department of Mathematics who have demonstrated scholastic achievement in the field of Mathematics.
- Thomas Andrew Hurd Mathematics Scholarship – Awarded to an undergraduate student working towards a degree in Mathematics who has demonstrated scholastic ability and financial need.
- Mathematics Department Scholarship – Provides one or more awards to outstanding undergraduate students in the Department of Mathematics.
- D. Keith Reed Memorial Scholarship – Awarded to an outstanding sophomore, junior, or senior student in the Department of Mathematics.
- Saxton Scholarship – Awarded to an outstanding student in the Department of Mathematics.
- Calvin H. Wilcox Memorial Scholarship – Benefits an outstanding undergraduate student in the Department of Mathematics.
- Michael Zhao Memorial Scholarship – Awarded in memory of Michael Zhao, an outstanding undergraduate at the University of Utah who completed his honors degree in Mathematics in 2017.
Students interested in applying for these scholarships should apply using both the University of Utah General Application and the Department of Mathematics General Application. All students who would like to be considered for scholarships that take financial need into account must complete the FAFSA. Applicants must be declared Mathematics, Applied Mathematics, or Mathematics Teaching majors. Exceptions are prospective students in high school and incoming transfer students.
Applications must be submitted by FEBRUARY 1, 2023.