College of Science Graduate Student Emergency Scholarship
The University of Utah College of Science Graduate Student Emergency fund can provide financial support when an unexpected event creates immediate financial hardship. If funds are granted, they do not have to be repaid.
- The applicant, or immediate family members that live with the student, must have a documented unexpected event that creates immediate financial hardship for the student. Some examples of events that may be covered include unexpected medical/medication costs, dislocation expenses, or family emergencies. Living expenses, computer costs, car maintenance, and taxes are typically not eligible expenses. Neither of those lists is exhaustive and exceptional situations are considered on a case by case basis.
- The student must be enrolled in a College of Science based graduate program and must be taking credits within the College of Science. Events that occur in the summer between Spring and Fall semester will also be considered if the student was enrolled in in a College of Science graduate program the Spring and plans to be enrolled in the same program in the Fall.
- A student may receive funding at most one time per unexpected event.
- Typical awards made through this program are limited to be between $500 and $2500.
- This program is subject to the availability of funds.
- If you are receiving financial aid, please contact the financial aid office to see how such an award might impact your financial aid.
- Supplemental Questions
- Please describe the unexpected event that has created a financial hardship for you. Please describe how this award would alleviate that hardship and help you complete your degree.
- Please upload any documentation related to the hardship including invoices or receipts. Note that for medical expenses, an explanation of benefits is not sufficient, please include a bill or a statement of the amount owed and evidence of how much insurance has covered, if applicable.
- The Financial Wellness Center, https://financialwellness.utah.edu/, can provide financial counseling and links to other resources related to certain kinds of expenses. Taking advantage of this resource may help lower your need which will allow us to help more individuals. Check this box to indicate you are aware of this resource.
- Is there anything else the committee reviewing these should be aware of.