J. Gordon and Betty M. Browning School of Medicine Endowed Scholarship Fund
Through this scholarship, the School of Medicine Admissions Office is able to provide recognition and financial assistance to members of the incoming class. Every year, the SFESOM Scholarship Committee strives to support as many deserving students as possible by selecting scholarship recipients whose attributes and actions resonate with the wishes of the donors. This scholarship is contingent upon the receipt of funds each year.
About Gordon and Betty Browning
Gordon and Betty Browning lived in California most of their lives, but moved to Utah to retire. After moving to Utah, they became interested in the Health Sciences at the U. Gordon and Betty left their estate to the U for scholarships. The Browning Auditorium (Wintrobe Building) and The Browning Plaza (between Wintrobe and building 521) were named after them for their contributions. They were kind and generous folks.
The Browning Scholarship is awarded to students who have excelled academically and are in need of financial assistance*. Students who receive assistance from the scholarship fund are encouraged by the donors, when and if they are financially capable, to reimburse the scholarship fund in an amount at least equal to that which they have received so that future students may have the opportunity to receive assistance from the scholarship fund.
First review of applications will happen the second week of January and scholarships will be awarded on a rolling basis as the incoming class is finalized
*School of Medicine scholarship opportunities for students that are in need of financial assistance require that students meet one of the following marked on their AMCAS application:
- SES -Socioeconomic Status
- A participant in Childhood Federal Assistance Program
- Pell Grant eligible
- Qualified for the Application Fee Assistance
- The Scholarship Committee with also review your Self-Reported Disadvantaged statement for details that indicate the need for financial assistance
- Supplemental Questions
- Please enter you highest MCAT score taken within the last four years
- Please enter your cumulative undergraduate GPA
- Enter in any Research Experience. For each Experience please include your specific role in the activity, length of time you participated both hour amount and date range, and if the activity resulted in a publication, poster, conference presentation, awards or recognition etc..
- Enter in any Clinical Experience. For each Experience please include your specific role in the activity, a short description including what you did and/or learned, and length of time participated both hour amount and date range.
- Please submit a one to two page, single-sided, double-spaced essay sharing the following information: Why did you choose the medical profession? What are your future professional and personal goals? Tell us about any obstacles you encountered growing up and how you have worked to overcome these obstacles to reach your professional and personal goals.
- I hereby acknowledge that the Scholarship Committee may review necessary parts of my medical school application for full consideration.
- Show 1 more