Dreamers Connecting Our Community Union Scholarship
DREAMERS CONNECTING OUR COMMUNITY
Provided by: Dream Center and the A. Ray Olpin University Union
Number of awards: 3
Value: $ 5,000
Application deadline: Friday, February 8th, 2019 by 11:59. (MST)
SCHOLARSHIP MISSION STATEMENT
The Dreamers Connecting Our Community Scholarship recognizes and promotes student engagement and service, particularly as it relates to higher education access for immigrant communities in Utah. This Scholarship recognizes student leadership that extends beyond the classroom into the broader community, as we strongly believe education is a human right and that everyone deserves an opportunity to earn a higher education despite immigration status. Dreamers (with or without DACA) are welcome and #HeretoStay.
The Dream Center at the University of Utah Office of Engagement, in partnership with The Union Administration Office is pleased to announce three (3) scholarships of $5,000 each to assist undergraduate and graduate Dreamers (undocumented students with or without DACA) in accomplishing their academic goals.
The purpose of this scholarship is to identify and recognize incoming and current University of Utah Dreamers whose community engagement and service have, or will contribute to the overall mission of the Dream Center (dream.utah.edu). This includes students who (1) engages in specialized college outreach and access strategies, (2) provides individualized mentoring and scholarship support for current and future University of Utah undocumented students, (3) promotes campus-wide advocacy and trainings for University of Utah students, faculty, staff and administration, and (4) increases community-wide awareness of policies affecting current and future University of Utah undocumented students. These opportunities can include but are not limited to involvement with Dream Center events or the community at large.
- Must have graduated from a high school or GED Program in Utah.
- Be an incoming or current University of Utah undergraduate or graduate Dreamer (with or without DACA) with plans to enroll in the Fall 2019.
- Candidates must take a minimum of 12 undergraduate credits, or if you are a graduate student, you must have full-time status according to your respective graduate program
- Hold a cumulative GPA of 2.5 and above from the University of Utah or prior institution.
- Many students who are selected to receive a University scholarship after May 12, 2015, are required by state law to certify under penalty of perjury that they are eligible to receive the scholarship as a U.S. citizen or a citizen of another country who is lawfully present within the United States. Students who have both graduated from a recognized Utah high school and who are awarded a scholarship funded by a private donor are not required to certify their lawful presence before receiving a privately funded scholarship. (This scholarship is a privately funded scholarship).
- Students who are required to certify their lawful presence in the United States must also be submitted to the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) for verification of their lawful presence within the United States. Once the University submits information to DHS for verification this federal agency may have the legal right to share information with other government agencies. If you do not know whether you are lawfully present within the United States you should seek the advice of an immigration attorney before accepting a University scholarship that requires certification and verification.
The recipients of the scholarship are expected to attend the annual Union Scholarship Celebration event during the evening of Thursday, April 4th, 2019. The celebration helps promote the scholarship on a community level and will be the time when the recipients are publicly awarded their scholarship.
University of Utah Dream Center
Alonso Reyna Rivarola
1901 E. South Campus Drive
Salt Lake City, Utah 84112
This document has been composed with the free online HTML converter. Access it here and use it every time for document editing.